The central function of an LES is the enforcement of process steps according to requirements. That means ensuring SOPs, methods, etc. are followed according to standards and regulations, usually by restricting options for a given process and its component steps. It also helps in automation and reduction of paper-based data management, as well as reducing errors.
LabLynx LES Features and Functions
LabLynx provides user-configurable workflows, with built-in capability to require particular personnel to perform certain functions, prevent continuance of testing on a given sample or set of samples until its previous process step has been completed, etc.
Some LES functions in LabLynx include:
- User Access Management - All users are assigned custom profiles, detailing exactly which screens, and functions on those screens, they can access.
- Parameter Management - All analytes, or parameters, in the system are controlled by the authorized end user(s), and mapped to instruments if interfaces are used so that data are accurately reported and stored.
- Training Tracking - The Training Tracking module in LabLynx ensures that training and certification histories for each user are documented, and that upcoming training is monitored so that users are always qualified to perform assigned duties, and that should certification lapse, they are prevented from performing them until re-certified.
- Test Management - In creating tests, you can designate which users have permission to conduct them, preventing analyses from being performed by unqualified personnel.
- Process Management - Individual process steps are created and managed in the system, and can be designated for a single test or multiple tests, and which users may perform them. Final reports are unable to be issued until all processes are complete for all samples included in that report.
- Path Management - Paths are workflows consisting of processes, and are assigned to tests so that they are mandated according to requirements. They include the ability to specify minimum and maximum times for completion, expiration, hold time, sequence of processes and whether different analysts are required for each.
- QC Management - Standard QC samples are included in the LIMS/LIS by default, and may be included automatically according to requirements when defining a test, or may be added dynamically during analysis. Additional QC templates may also be defined.
- Control Charting - Identify trends and outliers using the LabLynx Control Charting module - or easily export any data to Excel or another 3rd-party app for additional charting and/or analysis to ensure .
- Data Validation - Enforce data formats (i.e. SSN, phone numbers, MRN, etc., as well as types of expected analysis result values) for fields.
- Instrument Calibration/Maintenance Management - Ensure instruments are always properly calibrated and maintained by storing history and upcoming events, with the ability to create reminder notifications, so that only valid instruments may be used to perform analyses.
- Hold Times/Disposition - The system automatically tracks any hold times, expirations and provides status and disposal documentation capability.
- Ranges, Limits, Specifications - These may be assigned to samples by client, test parameter/analyte, collection location (sample point/route). Additionally any of these, along with tests themselves, may be assigned to any given sample or group of samples any time, dynamically, ensuring exceedance identification and notification so that requirements are met.
- Object Tracking - The Object Tracking function in LabLynx allows barcoded item management, including check-in/out of locations, transfer of ownership and disposal, making sure SOPs are followed.
- COC - Strict chain of custody procedures are enforced in the system where required, ensuring conformance with applicable standards and regs.
- Audit Trail - LabLynx's audit trail function tracks all results and any changes to those results, who made them, when, the original result and new value. Any unauthorized or incorrect changes may be identified, helping enforce SOPs.
The LabLynx solution for laboratory data management is a complete answer to all of your information management needs, containing LIMS/LIS, ELN and LES functionality, plus sciCloud.net® membership, with all of its many features, benefits and available apps.
- "Laboratory execution system". LIMSwiki.org. August 6, 2014. http://www.limswiki.org/index.php/Laboratory_execution_system. Retrieved 6 January 2017.